Since being elected in June 2017, I’ve done my best to support and represent High Peak as best I can. Here are a few of the things I and your Labour team have done locally:
- Campaigned for our ambulances – and won an extra £20 million for EMAS to recruit staff and cut ambulance waiting times.
- Fought against High Peak residents being restricted from access to breast services at Stepping Hill – and seen those services re-instated.
- Campaigned against Derbyshire County Council turning over four High Peak libraries including Gamesley, Hadfield, Whaley Bridge and Hayfield to ‘community management’ with their grant reduced to zero. Since our campaign, the Council has agreed not to close any library.
- Objected to a Sky Lantern event on the moors during the wildfires- which saw it cancelled. I’m introducing a Bill to ban Sky Lanterns so they can’t endanger our area.
- Supported many vulnerable residents who’ve been taken to court by High Peak Borough Council over late payment of Council Tax – and forced a Council policy to support vulnerable people.
- Fought against the closure of Royal Bank of Scotland in Chapel and Buxton and pushed for a better service at Nat West who’ve taken on extra staff and installed more machines.
- Campaigned for more police in High Peak – which we are seeing – and to keep custody cells locally so police don’t have to travel long distances with people they’ve arrested.
- Worked with High Peak GPs to fight proposed cuts of over £500,000 to our voluntary services. Around half of the services have been saved.
- Involved High Peak schools in opposing cuts to over 200 council staff who help families with children at risk of harm. Around 50 jobs have been saved for three years.
- Fought against the closure of Spencer Ward dementia care at the Cavendish Hospital and the halving of the rehabilitation beds in Fenton Ward. I made sure all the rehab beds stayed open over the winter and will continue to fight for them at the Cavendish and at Buxton’s planned new health centre.
- Supported Glossop Post Office to stay in its present convenient location.
- Fought for the Mottram bypass and Glossop spur, but also for the Tintwistle bypass to the A628 which will make a real difference to reducing traffic in Glossop.
- Campaigned for under-cover seating at Hadfield station and forthe station at Gamesley that was always promised.
- Worked with our local councils and with Greater Manchester on off-road cycle routes into and around High Peak to help people cycle safely and ease congestion.
- Fought against the closure of Shire Hill Hospital. Now I’m pressing Derbyshire Council to hold to their commitment for the old college site at Talbot Road to become a health and care centre.
- Responded to 25,000 emails on everything from climate change to parking, Brexit to bees, supporting thousands of constituents with casework and complex issues.
In Parliament, I’ve been credited with securing improvements to Universal Credit, which will affect over 6,000 families in High Peak.
I’ve spoken in 102 debates in the last year and received answers to 177 Parliamentary Questions.
To check on what I do in Parliament and local campaigns, follow me on
Facebook: @RuthGeorgehp Twitter: @RuthGeorgeMP
Drop me an email at email@example.com to receive my monthly newsletter.