Action Points from Rail Meeting with Northern and Station Friends Groups

Chair: Neville Clarke, Whaley Bridge Station Friends Group

Ruth George MP

Northern Rail: Vicky Cropper, Community & Sustainability Manager; Raj Chandarana, Stakeholder Manager.

Representatives from rail users or friends’ groups of Chinley, Furness Vale and Whaley Bridge stations.

Apologies: Friends of Station Groups from Buxton, Chapel and Glossop; Andrew Walker, High Peak and Hope Valley Rail Partnership

These are the action points from the meeting that I have sent to Northern to pursue:

  1. Northern to provide list of stations which have not been adopted by ‘Friends Of’ or ‘Rail Users’ Groups, so that Ruth can encourage people to set up a group.
  2. Ruth will take up the issue of Stockport and Piccadilly train pathways with Andy Burnham.  Northern to provide further information on the problems and what’s needed.
  3. Northern to do all in their power to fix the timetable hole in the December timetable for the Buxton line between the 8am and 8.58 services, which feeds all the way along the line and means no services arrive into Piccadilly from the line between 8.55am to 9.56am.
  4. Request for Northern to support the disability Access bid for Chinley station in the next round of Access for All funding.  Chinley has a large number of disabled people among its residents, and the local Special School and centre for adults with disabilities.  A group of local disabled people and Chinley Transport Group met with Nusrat Ghani MP Minister for Rail Access who was extremely supportive but emphasised that support from Northern was necessary.
  5. Northern to consider how they can to assist St Thomas More School in Buxton with enabling pupils from New Mills onwards to get to school on time by 8.50am due to the timetable change in May making the morning trains too late or too early.  Ruth would be willing to speak to local bus companies if Northern request.
  6. Northern and local groups to consider Bike racks: New Mills Newtown needs a bike rack with CCTV, while the one at Furness Vale bike is never used.  Could the Furness bike rack be moved to Newtown?  CCTV at Newtown has previously been promised.
  7. Northern and local groups to consider, if the bike rack at Furness Vale is removed, whether it would be possible for the shelter at Furness Vale, which is prone to flooding, be moved on the dry area of the platform where the bike rack is currently.
  8. Request that, where possible, guards check and sell tickets on the train as there are so few ticket offices, long queues to purchase tickets at Piccadilly platforms, and those staff are often unwilling to give discounted fares as they say the tickets should have been bought earlier.
  9. There will be a meeting between station Friends Groups and Northern about the Santa Special in September to ensure it works well, with activities at stations.